Friday, November 19, 2010

I Love Secretariat

Not the Disney movie, I'm afraid I won't like it so I haven't seen it.  It's the horse that I love.  Human athletes don't do much for me but, weirdly, I get inspired reading about Secretariat and watching clips of him on YouTube.  I grew up with a bit of an interest in racing only because my father liked to "play the horses," but all that's left is a fascination with a horse or two.  Ruffian's another one.  I may never have watched Secretariat in his time but I not only remember Ruffian's final race against Foolish Pleasure, I remember the day leading up to it.  I was so excited to watch her win, certain she would fly from beginning to end. That race was one of my first and most memorable heartbreaks.

But it's Secretariat, the drama of his come-from-behind finishes and the beauty and smoothness of his kick into high gear, that has me hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment